Sunday, December 02, 2007

Another shopping experience from Hell

Yesterday, I went to shopping for some remaining items on my kids’ gift lists. I knew I could find most of what I needed at one particular store. While there, I thought I’d pick up a case and memory card for my new camera.

The salesperson showed me a 1GB memory card on sale for $26.99 (reg. $39.99). It was hanging on the wall behind the cash. I took a closer look on the wall and saw the same memory card hanging up in another spot for $9.99 also regularly $39.99. In fact, there were five of them hanging on the same rack.

She gasped because the memory cards were mis-marked, then took them down for me. I asked her if she was going to sell them to me at the marked price and she told me she had too.

Easier said than done!

I was about to pay but before she could ring in the sale, someone with more authority had to come over for a cash override so I could buy the memory cards for $9.99. At that price, I wanted two.

Now, keep in mind an employee put the memory cards on the rack (customers can’t access that spot) and the salesperson helping me agreed to sell me them at the $9.99 price as marked. Steve, the guy in authority, came over and told me I couldn’t buy the memory cards for that price. WTF? It was their mistake and I’d already been told they would honour the marked price. He refused. We got into quite the discussion. I also learned he wasn’t the manager, just the person in charge over the weekend.

He insulted me and suggested I needed a “bit of an education” on the price of memory cards because there is no way a 1GB memory card could be selling for such a low price. Boy was I pissed. I understand technology and I certainly understand retail and customer service. How dare he insult me – or anyone else – like that. (BTW, BestBuy.ca is selling a 2-pack of 1GB memory cards for $16.99).

I told him customer service comes first. They made a mistake. They need to honour it – even one of their employees agreed. He offered to take off $10 – I told him it was already supposed to be on sale for $13 off so he told me I could pay that price – WTF? He told me if I didn’t like it, I could call the manager on Monday. Believe me, I will.

This guy had no sense of customer service. He was extremely rude and severely lacking in people skills. We continued arguing for several minutes and eventually I had to leave.

As you’d expect, I left all the items behind. I was planning on returning next week to buy another $200 in gifts but I’ll go elsewhere instead.

Has anything like this ever happened to you? What did you do? What would you do if you were me?

Tags: BestBuy, memory card

5 comments:

  1. Good for you, for standing up for yourself - you were absolutely right. It was their mistake, they should honour it.

    I hope you'll let us know what happens after you call the store manager today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KT, thanks for stopping by and supporting me.

    You can bet I'll let you know what happens. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a friendly and frank discussion with the manager today. She agreed "Steve" mishandled the situation. As for whether or not they will sell me the memory card for $9.99 or offer other remedies, that remains to be seen. She said she'd call me back within the next few days. I also lost additional loyalty points and she's aware of that too.

    Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear that she at least agreed with you...
    I hope you get your $9.99 memory card in the next few days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was supposed to get a call back by today. No word. Wonder how long it will take to hear back from them. Keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments