Monday, November 24, 2008

Holiday bargains for kids and babies

In this week’s baby bargainista column, Jenny continues sharing her holiday shopping experiences...

This past weekend I officially started my Christmas shopping. A bit late, I know – many of the more organized moms I know (including my own) set and meet a goal of being finished by Dec. 1st. Most of these high-achievers are already wrapping up their shopping (pun intended).

I’m not nearly so motivated. Although I do have a detailed list with ideas and inspirations for each person, my actual shopping usually requires a trigger of some kind. Sometimes it’s an upcoming event at which gifts are required, and sometimes it’s sheer panic as the calendar flips over to December!

Whatever the trigger, my first stop for holiday shopping is almost always the William Ashley warehouse sale. Held annually, the sale features bargains of up to 90% off on much more than the expected china, silverware, jewelry and glassware. In addition to bath items, chocolates, gift wrap, holiday décor, and more, there’s a decent-sized toy section offering discounts on name-brand items – everything from Kushies sleepers and clothes for babies, to Gund stuffed animals, to a variety of Hannah Montana gear for pre-teens.

This year I picked up a number of items and managed to finish off about half of my list in one single, 2-hour visit. I’d love to divulge the bargains I scooped up… But my family reads this blog, so I’m going to refrain in order to avoid spoiling anyone’s Christmas surprise!

Friends of mine swear by the Samko & Miko Toy Warehouse this time of year. The toy distributor features bargains of up to 90% off name-brand toys, and there are multiple locations. I have to confess though, that reports of mile-long checkout lines even in the middle of the day have kept me away. If you go, or have gone in the past, please tell us about it in the comments!

If bargains aren’t your primary motivator and you’re more interested in finding something really distinctive for the little one(s) in your life, you can’t do better than the One of a Kind show and sale. You have to buy tickets (which allow reentry), but the amazing number of truly unique items crafted by artisans is unparalleled. You’ll be sure to find something for even the kid who has everything.

Do you have a go-to for your holiday toy shopping? Tell us about it in the comments!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Ganz Annual Warehouse Sale; Oct. 28-Dec. 6; 610 Hanlan Rd. (Steeles Ave. and Weston Rd. area); Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Closed Sunday and Monday to restock.

    candles and aromatherapy to home decor, ceramics, collectibles, garden accessories, housewares, jewelry, Maggie-B purses, frames, baby gifts and the famous Ganz teddy bears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh -- I am going to have to check that out! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments