Monday, December 20, 2010

Escape the Mall Challenge (for charity) – part 3: dad and teen

So, if you’ve been following along, you’ll know I was given a nice chunk of change ($1,000) from Scott Taber at Media Profile on behalf of his client PayPal. My task, go shopping for five family members and friends, spend $500 online using PayPal and $500 at the mall buying comparable gifts.

Here’s the play-by-play on gifts for “Dad” and “Teen”:

What:
Sony Reader Pocket Edition™ (Silver), Zipper Case Pocket Edition (online) and Premium Cover for the Pocket Edition (in-store)


iPod + Phone Speaker Dock/Clock Radio

Where: SonyStyle.ca and Sony Style at Yorkdale

Outcome:

Online
The SonyStyle website was a bit slow. It was a pain registering too but it was easy to find what I wanted quickly and clear they accepted PayPal. I also liked how they let you know upfront if an item was out of stock and the anticipated availability date.

I didn’t want to chance free shipping because I wanted the goods fast so I paid $30 for 1-2 business day delivery. The delivery showed up via Purolator Dec. 14 but I was out. I received a note telling me to pick it up from their depot in Etobicoke. I called and asked if they would try again, they did and I got the package the next morning. Unfortunately, the case wasn’t included and I’m still waiting. According to the website, it should have been available and delivered by Dec. 16.

Cost: $ $353.38 ($179 eReader + $79 iPod dock + $19 eReader case + $30 shipping + taxes)

In Store
The Sony Style store at Yorkdale was busy but there was ample staff mulling around. However, I waited several minutes before someone even acknowledged me in the store. Once they did, the service was quick and friendly. I was surprised to learn they only carried the more expensive $39.99 eReader case in the store and the $19 one was only available online. At the store, I requested gift receipts, an option I didn’t have online. (Note the photo on the right was taken while I was shopping during this challenge.)

Cost: $338.97 ($179.99 eReader + $79.99 iPod dock + $39.99 eReader case + taxes) in store (including taxes)

Donated: December 16 to HoHoTO, some of the items will be available this evening in the HoHoTO Hangover Auction.

Want a say in where the remaining items are donated? (Sneak peek) You have until 11:59 p.m. ET to vote.

Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments