Monday, January 05, 2009

Baby Gear at Great Prices

In this week’s baby bargainista column, Jenny is getting down to the wire and the nesting instinct is starting to kick in...

I don’t know if it counts as nesting instinct, but as the due date for Baby #2’s arrival draws near I find myself compelled to shop for baby gear.

The baby’s room is still a shambles of unassembled furniture, and all the various clothes, toys, bouncy chairs, etc that I kept from #1’s babyhood are still in bins in the basement – but I feel like I can’t organize my inventory until I’ve ticked off all the items on my must-buy list:

1. a baby carrier
2. a breast pump and bottles
3. a breastfeeding pillow

I did without all these things during my 4-year-old’s babyhood, so they’re not exactly essentials; but since then enough moms, both new and experienced, have recommended these items to me that I’m convinced I’ve been depriving myself unnecessarily.

After my post about coveting a baby carrier, a number of folks recommended the Ergo baby carrier, and a friend found that they have plenty in stock at one of my favorite sources for new and nearly-new baby and toddler stuff – Once Upon a Child. I picked one up nearly-new for $99 – the cheapest price I’ve seen yet – and added an infant insert (which allows you to carry a newborn sling-style) for just another $28. Once Upon a Child doesn’t have as wide a variety of color choices as stores that sell them new, but the cost savings is more than worth it.

At Once Upon a Child I also scored a highly-recommended breastfeeding pillow, the My Brest Friend, for $49 new – $15 less than where I’d seen it elsewhere, simply because the washable fabric cover was last year’s pattern and color (again, not something I’m too fussy about when there are bargains to be had)!

Now, I just need to find the right breast pump and bottles! You can’t buy them used due to hygienic reasons, and there are SO many choices: manual, electric, combination; glass bottles, BPA-free plastic bottles… Once again, I’m open to personal recommendations! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:55 am

    i would suggest an electric! I had a manual pump for the first 4-5months and hated it. I bought a double electric (second hand) and loved it. I know they say not to purchase second hand, but I bought the replacement kit - so essentially the pump itself/motor is the only thing second hand that I'm using - i purchased all new hoses, bottles, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion! I love the replacement-kit idea! If you're able to divulge where you bought the pump second hand I'd love to know -- it sounds like a true bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:39 pm

    kijiji

    Quite honestly. i bought a double electric from i think $125.

    You can by the placement kits at just about any pharmacy or you could contact your hospital (or wherever rents out the machines) and ask about purchasing a replcement kit.

    hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:56 pm

    Check out Dear-Born Baby in Thornhill (www.dearbornbaby.com)
    I rented my BP there are they were REALLY helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, thanks for sharing all your helpful information. I'm sure Jenny and other expectant/new moms will find it helpful.

    Cheers,
    Eden

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments