Sunday, June 14, 2009

Celebrating local merchants

One of the main attractions about living my neighbourhood is the access to local shops and services. I live within walking distance of merchant villages and I do my best to support the local merchants, especially the ones that are independent businesses. They tend to place a bigger focus on their customers. Sometimes their prices may not be as competitive as a chain store but nothing compares to the level of service they offer.

Yesterday was Village Day & Sidewalk Sale in Yonge-Lawrence Village. Merchants couldn’t have asked for better weather. The community was out in droves – I was there twice – once by myself and once with my family. There was lots of entertainment, freebies and special offers. There were also several spaces for rent and just as many new neighbourhood businesses popping up.

It’s in everyone’s best interest to support local businesses and keep our neighbourhoods sustainable.

Here are some of the places I “supported” yesterday:
Cozy Nails
Calia Hair Design
Narnia – I bought a cute dress for ½ price
Adrian’s
Tim Hortons
Starbucks

UPDATE
Here are some of the photos I took. The Olive Oil Boutique was smart to take advantage of the passersby with big signs in the window. Had they been sharing samples of some of the gourmet foods they’ll be selling, the impact could have been greater. FYI, opening day is next Saturday, June 20.



What have you done to support your local merchants lately?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments