Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Most memorable Christmas gifts

In this week’s baby bargainista column, Jenny shares the best item she bought for her daughter this Christmas...

With the whirlwind of Christmas (mostly) behind us, I find myself reflecting on what we’ve been given this year and in the past.

Sometimes the most memorable gifts are the least appropriate. I don’t think anything will ever top the year that I got a can of WD-40 from my dad (clearly he did his own shopping) and breast-firming cream from my sister-in-law (really the kind of thing one should only buy for oneself, not for others, don’t you think?). I’m happy to report that this year our gifts were memorable for other reasons.

One of the best, most thoughtful presents we received was a donation made on our behalf to a food bank. Goodness knows we don’t require another tchotchke when there are families in need of much more basic necessities. It warmed my heart to know that the money that could have been spent on us went instead to help others.

Our 4-year-old would be hard pressed at this stage to name just one favorite gift; but I personally am very satisfied with one item we gave to her – the SweetPea3 MP3 player – the “MP3 player of choice for the discerning toddler.”

The SweetPea3 is a durable, rugged, toddler-friendly music player about the size of an old-fashioned transistor radio. It comes with a USB cable so you can easily rip and load your little one’s favorite songs or CDs, and its 1GB flash holds about 15 hours of music and/or audiobooks.

I love that there are only three buttons to select and play the songs, and that the volume is controlled by the parents via a hidden switch. There’s also a timer, so you can set it to play your little one’s favorite lullabies at bedtime, and it will switch off by itself.

I also love that I ordered it online on Dec. 8 and it was delivered on Dec. 19, well in time to be wrapped and placed under the tree. Most of all, I love that in between ordering and delivery, I received two (two!) unprompted update emails letting me know where the item was in its shipping cycle. I didn’t have to search the product website or go through Canada Post to find out its status. Now that, to me, is great customer service!

What’s your most memorable gift this holiday season?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. I have 2 granddaughters and they are ages 18 months and 4 yrs old. I gave the youngest one the same gift and it has been the favorite for both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! That's really helpful to know since I have a 2nd child due any day know -- nice to know that he/she will get some enjoyment out of the SweetPea3 too, eventually!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments