Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Weekly Wish – Wii Fit

Okay, so you’ve heard me spouting off about my weight loss for months. Tamsin and I have been focusing on maintaining our new-found bodies. (You’ll be hearing more from her about that in another post very soon.)

In addition to eating properly, there is another important aspect of maintaining a healthy body weight and helping turn that flab firm. Yes, it’s exercise. I’m active. I love long walks and bike rides. I know this may sound unpopular but I HATE formal exercise. I’m not afraid to admit it!

I’ve been ogling and anticipating the launch of Ninetendo’s Wii Fit since last fall. I waited around to see if any one would see the link between my recent weight loss, love of gadgets and possession of a Wii. No such luck. I contacted Ninetendo myself and ended up connecting with their PR agency. They were nice enough to invite me to a media event last week. Unfortunately, it was during the day. I work downtown at the opposite end of the city. Things just didn’t work out.

Other than the convenience of having a fun workout in my own home, what’s so special about Wii Fit?

Have a look...


Wii Fit has 40 activities. Sounds like there’s something for everyone and I’m sure I’d find somethings I like doing on a regular basis like twirling a virtual Hula Hoop, yoga and downhill skiing.

And, it comes with the Wii Balance Board (see photo above) - an interesting device connecting wirelessly to the Wii – it senses weight, shifts in movement and balance. Wii Fit can also track your progress and BMI. Plus there are lot of instructional videos.

At $89.95, Wii Fit is a lot less expensive than joining a gym and I wouldn’t need to worry about travel time or communal showers. Bonus!

So, this week you guessed it. I’m wishing for a Wii Fit. Wish me luck.

What’s your favourite exercise routine?

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting a wii fit for a couple of months now, but I'm guessing it will be a lot longer than that until I can get my hands on one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The demand for Wii Fit is very high. I was at the mesh conference this week and someone was walking around with a brand new copy on Wednesday. Many of us were just looking in awe.

    I'm optimistic about getting a trial copy so I can check it out and share my experiences. Stay tuned.

    If you get one, let us know what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:22 pm

    I was lucky (or bright) enough to arrive in line in time to buy one last Wednesday.

    I can say the Wii Fit is really cool! Kim is even using it for her post-op knee rehab with the approval of her physician... How progressive is that?!?

    You would probably want to compliment its usage with other exercises. But, I am pretty sure that doing the most demanding exercises in Wii Fit would go a long way in keeping someone in shape and maybe even lose some weight. In any case, even if you external exercises, you still can track your weight and time doing other kind of exercises, so it's a good tool to also keep track of any progress.

    I can tell you I broke quite a sweat after doing some of the Yoga, strength and aerobics exercises.

    Up to now, the novelty hasn't wear off for us. The bonus is that it's still fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerome, You're lucky to have snapped up a copy of Wii Fit on the first day it went on the market. Thank you so much for providing details about your experience. By letting me know about Kim's doctor allowing her to use it for rehab, you've given me hope. I was offered a trial version but I've just injured my hip and was told I'd have to stay away for 6 weeks. Maybe that won't be the case. I really need to get some regular exercise in addition to walking - which I'm doing very slowly now. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments