Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hard as nails and other strange stories

A funny thing happened last week while I was at Cozy Nails, my favourite Saturday morning hang-out. You see Cozy Nails is so customer-focused, they offer free gourmet coffees, teas and smoothies to all their clients. For those with a sweet tooth, they also have dishes and containers filled to the brim with all kinds of chocolates and other candies to enjoy while your nails are drying.

I was sitting minding my own business when all of the sudden a familiar neighbourhood teen and her younger sister appeared. I thought they were having a mother-daughter day. Wrong. Their mother was just behind them and she came into the shop. But instead of her usual outgoing self, she seemed a bit reserved and uncomfortable as she stood with her dog on a leash waiting for her girls. They stuffed their hands full of candy and the three of them walked out. What nerve!

Clients and staff alike were taken aback. Turns out the mom isn’t even a client. It’s not like Cozy Nails is the only place to get candy in the neighbourhood either: a variety store is up the street.

So this post is a bit different. Instead of me ranting incessantly about bad service, I’m ranting about bad customer behavior. As customers we all want excellent service. Relationships are a two-way street. We also owe it to the service providers to be respectful, courteous and not take advantage of their generosity.

I had another strange experience that day. I stopped into the Bagel House. My son wanted a pepperoni stick. I politely asked the cashier to cut the package open. She cut it and ran. Unfortunately, she didn't cut it enough to open the package. I politely asked her to try again. She threw a pair of scissors at me. Huh? I asked her if I had been rude (because I found her behaviour odd.)
“No, you have been polite. I’m just busy ’cause I have to clean up and I have a bunch of orders to fill for other customers.”
WTF? The store was empty. Speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Do you have any strange shopping stories to share? Leave a comment.

photo credit: marjanhols on Flickr

Technorati tags: Cozy Nails, Bagel House

2 comments:

  1. I was out last week at a restaurant and I was sitting at the bar. A man had just exited the restrooms and while walking by the bar, he stopped by the garnishes and proceeded to take a cocktail sword and poke at the olives for about 5 minutes (I'm not exaggerating). He finally was able to get one, pop it in his mouth and walk away. Come on! Are you serious?! What nerve!!!! As a former restaurant manager, I've seen a lot of this kind of behavior. Unfortunately, we live in a world where people think the customer is always right and no matter what you offer them, they're going to take advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree customers can be a pain too. I've had my off days myself. But generally I expect more from businesses than customers as they are being paid.

    I do agree though that the customer isn't always right and common sense should prevail.

    The candy story is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments