Monday, January 07, 2008

Beauty Confidential - how to look like a million bucks for less

One of my favourite holiday surprises was receiving a copy of Beauty Confidential, a new book by former magazine beauty editor, Nadine Haobsh (aka blogger Jolie in NYC).

Nadine is big on developing personal style and doesn’t believe in a one-size-fits-all approach to beauty even if it’s the mantra espoused by her peers.

Although I read beauty mags at the hairdresser, I’ve never paid much attention to beauty books. Until now that is.

Beauty Confidential is written in a light conversational style and chalk full of valuable tips about every beauty concern under the sun. The format is useful too. Each chapter includes a “product guide” listing each product mentioned in the chapter, along with it’s website address and price range. How handy.

If you’re like me and find yourself collecting cosmetics, hair care and skin care goodies, this handy little beauty book is a must read. You’ll learn when to save your money and what products are splurge-worthy in order to look your best.

Good haircuts and colour are worth the big bucks but you can follow Nadine’s illustrated step-by-step instructions and learn to blow-dry your own hair like a pro. Learn how to groom and trim your eyebrows properly, give your self a professional manicure and lots more. Why throw money away on expensive nail polish when you don’t have to when the less-expensive brands will do. Did you know lots of drugstore skincare products are formulated the same way as others costing megabucks?

You’ll get lists of all the best beauty products (i.e. shampoo, mascara, skin cream, blush, foundation, sunscreen, etc.) and why those products have earned their stripes. Even some of my personal favourites including LancĂ´me Definicils mascara, Essie nail polish and Cetaphil were list-worthy. ; )

So, if you’re like most women I know and have a stockpile of make-up, skin creams, hair care, body lotions and potions, Beauty Confidential is a smart investment.

4 comments:

  1. Omg! I love reading beauty books! I am definetely adding this to my list. Did you ever read Don't Go to the Cosmestic Counter Without Me? That book was good too, but too reference like. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking at this yesterday at Indigo. Good timing on the review! Think I might go back to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about Don't Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me but I haven't read it yet. I've seen Paula Begoun on TV a few times.

    Beauty Confidential uses a different approach. Nadine writes about all the name brands and the colours that work for everyone too. For instance, NARS blush in orgasm and Essie polish in Mademoiselle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments. I did find the Essie nail polish here, I think this site is very helpful. Crave Beauty Care Products and Makeup

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments