Sunday, December 31, 2006

Doin' good/bein' bad

American Apparel opened a new store in town.

AA has been in the news a lot lately. Will a new owner shake it up?

It's an industry leader when it comes to CSR and social media. It's reputation is surrounded in controversy because of it's racy ads. If nothing else, they give otherwise plain clothes sexy appeal... and we all know sex sells.

AA is miles ahead of the competition when it comes to online presence but their stores are boring and merchandising falls flat (Hallowe'en windows were an exception). I was underwhelmed the first time I saw the Bloor St. shop a couple years ago. When it comes to signing up for their e-mails, I was PO'd they lumped everyone over 36+ in one age category. Why did they have to make me feel old?

I've heard nasty rumours about the employee dress code. My niece told me AA was supposed to sponsor a walk to raise money for a breast cancer charity event at her school last year. The deal fell through when the school learned more about AA's ad campaigns - often featuring young teens.

Here's a 10% off coupon - valid at the new store only, 'til Feb. 15 - use it as much as you want:

If you think this post is a bit seems it bit scattered and contradictory, it is! 'Cause that's how I feel about this company:

• good/bad?
• boring/sexy?
• crazy/cool?
• controversial/savvy?
• awesome website, social media know-how/boring bricks 'n' mortar stores?
• Canadian founder-owner/American name?

How do you feel?

Technorati tags: American Apparel, clothing, coupons, fashion, marketing, retail shopping

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:08 pm

    I'll be interested to see how the new owners handle the company.

    Hey wanna do a link exchange, gotta support the local blogging crew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!

    Sure. I'd also like to learn more about some of the techie features used on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its Pleasure to read your blog.The above articles is very impressive, and I really enjoyed reading your blog and points that you expressed. I love to come back on a regular basis,post more on the subject.
    Thanks for sharing...keep writing!!!
    Rank A Website

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments