Thursday, March 07, 2013

S. Pellegrino Almost Famous Chef recipe – a hit at home

Rarely do I talk about clients in this space. But today is my husband’s birthday and there is always room for exceptions.

For the past three years, I’ve been fortunate to work with the S. Pellegrino® Almost Famous Chef Competition – the Canadian Regionals to be exact. It marries two of my passions, education and food.

Each year, student chefs from top culinary schools across North America compete for the title of S. Pellegrino® Almost Famous Chef. The winner will be selected in Napa this weekend. Jean-Christophe Comptois from École hôtelière de la Capitale in Quebec City, won title at the Canadian Regionals with his signature dish, “Tomme des Joyeux Fromagers,” more commonly known as Milk Veal tenderloin, Matsutake and flavored polenta.

This year we created S.Pellegrino presents: Recipes from Almost Famous Chefs, a free eBook of recipes from the 2012 and 2011 Canadian competitors adapted for the home chef.

On Monday, a groups of talented young boys known as “Les Petits Chefs,” prepared Honey Seared Bison Beef Tenderloin and Apple Parsnip purée, under the direction of their talented cooking teacher, Mardi Michels of eat. live. travel. write. Their work is most impressive. The recipe was created by the 2011 Canadian regional award winner, Jean-François D’Aigle, George Brown Chef’s School (Toronto), who originally used bison instead of beef.

This morning as I was figuring out what to make the birthday boy for dinner, Mardi sent me her blog post describing Les Petits Chefs’ latest adventure in the kitchen. The light bulb went off. I figured if they could make the dish in an hour, I could attempt to do the same. Beef tenderloin is one of the few cuts of beef I can cook – not kill – without a barbecue.

According to the birthday boy, dinner was delicious although my plating wasn’t quite as pretty.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Blog seems to be very informative. I like it. Thanks for sharing and keep it up.
    Home Cooking School

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments