Sunday, January 07, 2007

Do you regift?

A close friend had a dinner party for her book club just before the holidays. A guest brought her a candle as a gift. Oddly, the price was still left on. She didn't have any use for it but thought it would make a great Christmas gift.

A couple weeks later she was having hair done and gave her colourist the candle as a gift. She remembered to remove the price tag. You can imagine her embarrassment when her friend showed up at the same salon!

The friend saw the candle and said, "That's the same one I gave you for your dinner party."

"No, it's not." my friend replied.

"Yes, it is... I got it as a gift and someone left the price tag on. I didn't like it, so I left the tag on and gave it to you. I thought if you didn't like it either, you could return it and choose something else instead."

Regifting used to be a dirty word coined on a Seinfeld episode. Not any more - even Emily Post gives tips on when it's okay. What do you think?
Did you regift in 2006?
yes, I always do
no, I'd never dream of it
I'll never tell

Technorati tags: Emily Post, regifting, Seinfeld

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:01 pm

    Although I did not re-gift in 2006, I often do and I promise I will in 2007, if some of this stuff doesn't go the Goodwill first. He hee.

    BTW, I'm linking you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those "I'll never tell" people. :)

    Thx for the link. I'll add you to my blogroll too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments