Saturday, August 02, 2008

My first impressions of Smart Set

You may remember I was contacted by Smart Set via their PR agency to participate in a program. In return, I got a mini-wardrobe consultation and a $75 gift certificate.

Instead of buying the suggested outfit, I bought a pair of casual cargo shorts for $26.99 (I’ve been living in them ever since). They were on sale from $35 and a week later, they were back up at regular price. I also picked up another pair of shorts for $9.99 but I didn’t love them so I took them back. Fortunately, Smart Set has a no-hassle return policy.

I’ve been keeping a close eye on the chain and noticed they have different specials every week. For instance, they’ve introduced lululemon knock-off yoga pants and co-ordinating jackets this week for an unbeatable price – any two pieces for only $50! (A set usually sells for $70.) I’m tempted to use the remainder of my gift certificate before they’re gone.

I also found a decent selection of jeans at very low prices. I think I’ve seen them on sale for under $30!

My friend Connie told me they’ve also started offering reusable bags and last week they were free with a minimum purchase of $40 or $50.

Bottom line:
I was pleasantly surprised to see so many women customers. I expected to find only teens. Staff was friendly, clothes seem to fit nicely and prices are very affordable. I probably won’t buy my work clothes at Smart Set because I find them a bit too junior and I prefer better quality. However, when it comes to basics and weekend wear, I’ll definitely pay Smart Set a visit.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update!

    I picked up a bunch of "cheap and cheerful" T-shirts and camies last week. They had different necklines available, a great range of colours, and they seem to wash up well. They are light with a bit of stretch, so very comfy.

    The Ts were originally about $12.99, I bought a bunch at $9.99 and those left are currently on half price, only $5, so well worth a look (if you can find any left!).

    They were snapped up pretty fast.

    One question I have is where do these tops come from at such a low price? Especially, are the manufacturing and dyeing processes they use ethical/environmentally friendly? I would want to find out before I buy more from them.

    Cheers,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome deal on the shorts! Good timing getting them, too.

    And Connie, I'll bring your question to Smart Set and get back to you : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Rayanne!

    Cheers,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie, thanks for sharing your experience. I popped into the Yorkdale store on Saturday and saw a lot of t-shirts on display. All sale items were an additional 50% off.

    Rayanne, I've been living in those shorts. The fact they haven't come apart yet tells me they're made to last. Please post Smart Set's answer to Connie's question here too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments