Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Revealing my beauty secrets tag challenge

My friend Kim Vallée of At Home with Kim Vallée tagged me. When I first learned about it, I wasn’t too thrilled because I’ve done the tag meme thing enough times but this was different. This one is about sharing beauty secrets. What fun. How could I resist?

Make-up and I go way back. My earliest memories was playing with fake-up when I was young as 4. I think the brand was called Little Lady and there was no better gift anyone could give me. Of course I could apply it to my heart’s content but nothing would appear on my face. To this day I remember the taste and smell of the lipstick.

Although I consider myself a low-maintenance woman, I have been wearing make-up since I was about 12. The only thing that’s changed over the years is that I apply more while it keeps looking like less and less. I’m all about the natural look.

Recently, I had the most incredible facial at Cozy Nails. I realized once every couple of years is NOT enough. I’m making a point of getting them every season from now on.

My Foundation: All from Bobbi Brown
Foundation stick in Warm Sand 2.5 is a necessity. Occasionally, I use the creamy concealer kit in Warm Ivory and corrector in Light Bisque.

My Mascara: Lancôme Définicils, waterproof black. I wear contacts so waterproof is a must. I also wear CILS Booster XL mascara base – for longer wear, longer lashes and less smudging.

My Blush: Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge for Cheeks and Lips in Blushed Rose.

My Eye Shadow: Bobbi Brown Neutral Eye Shadow Palette and award-winning long-wear cream shadow in Bone.

My Day Cream: Lancôme. I just switched to Primordial Skin Recharge. I always make sure my moisturizer contains SPF. This one has SPF 15.

My Lipstick: M•A•C Viva Glam V - all revenue goes to M•A•C AIDS fund. I wear lip balm every night before I go to bed. Currently, I’m using Daily Lip Care (purple tube, vanilla scent) by Polysporin that I received in my swag bag as a media sponsor of the last ChickAdvisor Queen Street Shop Crawl.

My Beauty Product Brand: Bobbi Brown fills more of my make-up bag than any other brand.

My Essential Beauty Product: Cetaphil. I swear by this stuff. It’s the best eye make-up remover I’ve ever tried. It's gentle, effective, non-stinging, and an excellent facial cleanser as well.

My Favorite Makeup Product:
Not sure I have a favourite. I wouldn’t want to do without any of the above.

My Perfume: I use Gautier Le Lait body lotion everyday. I don’t wear perfume; it makes me sneeze.

My Nails: Manicures are my guilty pleasure. My salon uses Essie and OPI products. I flip between the two depending on the colour I feel like wearing.

My Feet: Vichy foot care products with podexine, specifically Cracked Heel Repairer and Reconditioning Care for Dry Feet, everyday.

My Hands: I just discovered an awesome hand repair cream from La Roche-Posay. It’s rich and creamy without being greasy and it’s probably the only one I’ve tried that’s non-irritating.

Three Products to bring on a deserted island: Dove unscented moisturizing soap, Cetaphil moisturizer, lip moisturizer w/SPF and lots of sunscreen.

Women I admire for their beauty: I admire women who are confident in their own skin and embrace aging gracefully without the help of restylane fills and botox.

Woman with the Best Sense of Style:
Audrey Hepburn

My Ultimate Dream (but I do not believe in selling my soul to the devil for it): No clue.

How Do I Define Womanhood: Grace with a sense of style – according to Kim, I can’t top that one either.

My Favorite Fashion Publication: In Style

I am tagging four women and one man with style:

Two of the the TFBB gals...
Henna of Canadian Beauty
Anita of iwant igot

My mani-pedi buddies...
Michelle of Mish’s Playground
Kathryn of That Kathryn Girl

And, the new guy on the blogroll...
Tris of Manscaping 101

7 comments:

  1. I love my M•A•C Viva Glam. I used V, instead of VI.

    You added some great categories. I use the Gardener's Hand Therapy by Crabtree & Evelyn. Even my husband puts some during winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit though... considering you're a Barginista... these products are prohibitively expensive. hmmm. Do they last longer maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I goofed. I'm actually using Viva Glam V not V1 - I've updated the post. I used to used the Gardener's Hand Therapy too but I switched and like La Roche-Posay better.

    Saira,
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Believe me, I've used plenty of less expensive products too. I've never said I avoid pricer items. I shop for value and the products I use go a long way.

    Bobbi Brown products last a long time. I don't have multiple tubes of lipstick or typically purchase cosmetics that don't get used.

    I buy a lot of items on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart and always collect Optimum points with my purchases. I make a point of waiting to cash them in when they are worth double the face value and then I stock up on cosmetics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do I compete with this ... I'm a guy, it takes me 10 mins to get ready. Good thing I use more than just shaving cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tris, believe me, it only takes me 10 minutes to get ready too. Sometimes I can do it in 5. I'm still looking forward to reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit that I recently tried Botox -- but not because I am uncomfortable in my skin or worried about aging! I was curious and intrigued by a free consultation. I initially went in to ask about Restylane and other fillers. I never expected to leave the clinic with Botox in my forehead, but I don't regret it. I did not do it for wrinkles either. I didn't have the natural lines from furrowing my brow, but I was very aware how easily I squinted. When I was thinking, I frowned and looked grumpy. I felt tired. When the doctor who eventually injected me explained how a few units of Botox could SLIGHTLY lift my brow (to open up my eyes just a bit) plus deter me from squinting and frowning so easily, I wanted to try it.

    I am so glad I did. I learned that Botox takes up to 10 days to kick in, so there are no immediate results. And it can be very subtle. Best of all: my eyes feel relaxed because my brow cannot easily furrow. My face feels relaxed, neutral. And not frozen at all.

    Before this, Botox was scary to me. Now, not to much. I've had it for 4 weeks now. Would I do it again? Maybe. I want to see how long it lasts and how I feel.

    Just wanted to give another side...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tamsin, So glad you shared your perspective and experience with Botox. You're right, it is important for people to learn about different perspectives so they can make an informed decision. As long as it works for you and makes you feel better about yourself, that's what counts.

    Maybe one day I'll change my mind too but for now, I'm aging gracefully. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments