Friday, August 17, 2007

Tip of the Week: make friends with local retailers

Chances of getting a discount on regular merchandise at a chain store are slim to none. However, smaller independent retailers need your business and smart ones will bend over backwards to be your friend. They want you coming back for more.

There is a specialty store about a 10 min. walk from my house. The most I spend there is about $20 a visit. Usually, I spend less than $10. I don’t think I’ve spent more than $100 this year and I often wait for sales. I’m always friendly to the owner, lots of customers are.

I’m not sure why, but the last few visits, the owner has given me between 20%-30% off the regular price. He knows I blog but my readers are quite different from his target demographic. Needless to say, I’ve become a loyal customer. Once or twice a year, when his shop a sale or is involved in a special event, I’ll let you know. In the meantime, I appreciate the discount and I’ll stay a loyal customer.

Are you friends with any of your local retailers? What have they done for you lately? Share your experience, leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments