Sunday, July 15, 2007

The art of grilling at dish

I spent a wonderful afternoon at dish cooking studio. As one of 10 eager students, we were mentored by Chefs Elena Embrioni (of Southern Accent fame) and Charmaine Baan (former pastry chef at Splendido and Susur).

We learned new techniques in food preparation, including how to turn your BBQ into a smoker. I learned how to use a knife properly (sad but true.)

We made 7 marvelous recipes:
Grilled Porterhouse Steak w/Gorgonzola Compound
Marinated Boneless Leg of Lamb w/Pistachio-Mint Feta Pesto
Grilled Calamari w/Chili Scallion Sauce
Grilled Vegetable Ratatouille
Balsamic Roasted New Potato Salad
Ultimate BBQ Pork Ribs w/Bourbon Sauce, and
Chili Rubbed BBQ Shrimp

My favourites were the lamb and ratatouille. Everything was delicious. What a feast!

A class at dish isn’t cheap but you do get excellent value for your money. (Fortunately, I had a gift certificate.)

Prefer cooking lessons on a more modest budget? Have no fear, founder Trish Magwood has a cookbook and a new series on the Food Network coming out in September.

Check out my flickr picks - I’ve posted the collage on the right side of this blog.

Have you ever taken a hands-on cooking class? If you could study with any chef, who would it be? Leave a comment.

Technorati tags: bbq, Charmaine Baan, cooking lessons, dish cooking studio, Elena Embrioni, Food Network Canada, grilling, Trish Magwood

5 comments:

  1. I love Southern Accent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:28 am

    I am glad to see that it was a great experience at dish. I took a 10-week French cooking session with my mother when I was a teenager. It was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dish is remodeling the upstairs to add a venue for entertaining. It's opening in late September. Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Blog.I like very much coupon shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    nice info, I like this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments