Monday, July 02, 2007

The Line Painter and online book offers

I just finished The Line Painter, a new book from a first-time author, Claire Cameron.

The Line Painter recounts the complex and personal journey of Carrie, a young woman grieving over the death of her husband and Frank, the line painter who rescues her on a northern Ontario highway. The suspenseful journey ensues on many levels - literal, emotional, physical - for both Carrie and Frank.

Cameron’s writing style is sparse and to the point; however, she does an excellent job of helping an urban girl like me understand life in the rural Ontario setting, as well as building up suspense throughout.

What happens to Carrie? Will she be safe? Is Frank a creep or a nice guy under all that tough guy trucker facade? What about his friends? Can Carrie trust anyone? These were some of the questions running through my mind as I read The Line Painter.

I have to admit this isn’t the type of story I’d usually be compelled to read had it not been for my membership in the HarperCollins book club on Facebook. However, I’m glad I did and I’m looking forward to her next novel.

What’s also interesting about this book is how I learned about it in the first place - Facebook. I joined HarperCollinsCanada - The Reading Group, requested a copy and participated in a book club for the first time ever. I wish I’d been a more active participant. As a newbie, I spent most of the time reading what others had to say and reading an author interview. I was impressed by Claire Cameron’s involvement in the group as well. She responded to almost every reader comment.

What’s in store for you?
HarperCollins is introducing a new book or selection of books each month, making the books available to some of the members over the summer and doing a fine job of creating a community of readers. If you’re not already a member, consider joining

These days, several Canadian publishers are finding new ways to bring Canadian literature to Canadians. There are even some interesting ways you can find some great reads for free in exchange for a blog post or a comment or two online.

Now I’m on to my next book: Town House by Tish Cohen. I’ve heard it’s being made into a Hollywood movie. Stay tuned.

What have you read lately? Any new Canadian authors you can recommend? Do you belong to a book club? Leave a comment.

Technorati tags: Claire Cameron, HarperCollins, The Line Painter, Town House, Tish Cohen

6 comments:

  1. There's been some really cool stuff happening on Facebook lately.

    Trying to build an active web community is probably the most difficult thing to do for any website, so tapping into Facebook's existing, rabid community is much easier. Not to mention that Facebook provides the technical infrastructure (but that truly is secondary to getting a community to come & participate in your site regularly).

    I thought the CBC wish list project (which I recently blogged about), was actually a good example of this point - as is HarperCollins.

    I convinced a friend who runs Word on the Street to start a group for the festival on Facebook and I think she's found it quite successful.

    So, are the books free to all or some members?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen,

    To answer your question, we give away a certain number of books that are earmarked for the group. Members have to answer a skill testing question (it's not hard, trust me!) and then get to choose their title. It's first come, first served, where the books are concerned.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For June, there was one book - The Line Painter and three choices for July. There was also a link from Sweetspot.ca where readers could link to an offer on HarperCollins.ca for a copy of Town House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - thanks for blogging about my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm so impressed.

    hip_ragdoll, we may not know who you are but you're not hiding your affiliation with HarperCollins.

    Claire Cameron, Thanks for your message.

    Book publishers and authors seem much further ahead in the social media space than other industries. I'll be curious to learn if all the hard work is paying off.

    I've been blogging for 10 months now and haven't received anything but anonymous comments from people affiliated with the companies/shops mentioned.

    Thanks for participating in the discussion. Maybe I should start a book blog. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three cheers for book blogs! I love them (and even have one for myself).

    And Bargainista, I've tried, desperately to hold on to the work/real life distinction and then finally gave up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments