Saturday, June 09, 2007

Yonge Lawrence Village Day & Sidewalk Sale

I live in a vibrant community-oriented neighbourhood. After the ravages of last night’s storm, including a power outage, broken trees and other debris all over the ground, nothing is getting in the way of a couple celebrations.

The annual Cranbrooke street sale is on. It’s my favourite street sale in the neighbourhood. There are always lots of participants and tons of great stuff like books, toys, clothes, furniture, housewares and collectibles sold for next to nothing.

I’ve lived in the area for almost 8 years and this year’s Yonge Lawrence Village Day & Sidewalk Sale is the most vibrant one I’ve ever seen.

Many merchants have started their end-of-season sales and still have lots of bargain racks for you to sift through on the sidewalk. It’s not all about shopping though. There are street entertainers for the kids, free treats and chances to win gift certificates.

Paradise Comics has 25% off today. My son and I stopped in to stock up for camp. Comicon is on and had there not been a street festival, they would have been closed. A lot of their inventory was at the conference along with their debit and credit card machines. I didn’t have enough cash and had to go to the bank machine and back for my purchase. Not sure everyone would be so understanding. I hope they learn from their mistakes.

I was most impressed by a group of girls who set up a table to raise awareness and collect money for STAND - Students Taking Action Now: Darfur. My son reached into his pocket and made a generous donation - I was touched. He doesn’t part with his money easily.

What did you do today? Is anything special happening in your neighbourhood? Leave a comment.

Technorati tags: Comicon, Paradise Comics, STAND Canada, street sales, Yonge Lawrence Village

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:02 pm

    Lunch on a patio on King West, then the Phantom matinee! Great times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure sounds great to me. I still haven't seen Phantom. How was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:15 pm

    Phantom was great! Lots of effects...the run ends in just over a week apparently, tickets can be had for fairly good prices...but being Bargainista, you knew that already ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Chris, I don't know every deal. It's always nice to get a little help from the community.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments