I'm barely 5'3" so when my friend Kathryn asked me If I knew where she could find an outfit for a friend's wedding, I was stumped. You see, Kathryn is 5'11" and few stores cater to women of her stature.
I started going through my closet and found a little black dress I bought for a wedding a couple years ago - the one I had shortened by 8"! I bought it at David Findlay. At that time - in addition to their biz wear - they had a small collection of evening wear.
I also suggested Want because they carry an extensive collection of special occasion dresses.
Along the way Kathryn bought some great separates at Tzatz! and a great Teenflo jacket at Winners. She ended up finding an outfit at The Oyster in Burlington on a referral from her friend Judy.
I have a some other friends like Kathryn. Their biggest complaint about finding clothes are:
• pant legs and sleeves are too short
• limited selection
• boring, matronly clothes
With help from my friend Carol, Kathryn and Cindy, I've compiled a list of stores either specialize in catering to the long and leggy or just happen to carry clothes that fit:
• Banana Republic - just introduced tall sizes (US only)
• Club Monaco - jeans for women up to 5'10"ish.
• David Findlay - great for tailored business suits
• Franco Mirabelli - another great place for business attire and special occasions
• Gap/Old Navy - tall jeans
• Long Legs - great store for tall women with a flare for fashion
• Lululemon - where else have you seen yoga pants shortened?
• Tallcrest Shoes - shoes starting at size 10-13
• Tall Girls Shop - basics, conservative business wear
• Tall Like Me - huge selection, including maternity and yoga wear
• The Oyster - awesome high-end clothes
• Tzatz! - exclusive labels, urban style, sometimes glitzy
• Want - hottest fashions, big selection of party dresses
• Zara - high fashion, small fit, reasonably-priced
For more tips, check out Tall Women Fashion "411"!
Note: Not all of these stores specialize in tall sizes but they're loved by tall girls anyway. Check them out and let us know what you find. :) Long and leggy? Tell us about your favourite shop.
Technorati tags: fashion, shopping, tall women